How to Add Lighting to your Gazebo or Pergola
Choosing the right lights for your gazebo or pergola
Pictured: Customer review of the Fairhaven Pergola
The type of lighting you choose to add to your outdoor structure will depend on the kind of environment you want to create. We love how our customers have created cozy sitting spaces with simple bulb string lights, while other customers have opted to add solar lighting which is a cost-effective and eco-conscious solution.
There’s also plenty of opportunity to get creative with your lighting for a unique look. Rather than hanging lights along the wooden beams, you could zig-zag string lights across your pergola, wind them around each pillar, hang them close together to create a ‘sea’ of lights, or even create a bespoke chandelier for a real showstopper.
For more luxury lighting ideas, you might consider free-standing lamps or pendant-style lighting, which provide an interesting alternative to the more popular string bulbs lights. These can be plugged directly into our PowerPort™, which is available on many of our pergolas and gazebos. This is a great option if you don’t fancy hard-wiring your lighting.
Installing lighting on your Backyard Discovery Pergola
When opting to instal additional lighting onto your Backyard Discovery product, there are a few steps we always recommend taking:
- Before carrying out any electrical work, ensure that you turn off your electrics at the main unit
- Hire a qualified contractor if you need specialist help, or aren’t sure
- Avoid making any cuts, holes or drilling directly into the structural elements of your gazebo or pergola
- Use a sturdy ladder to reach the top of your pergola or gazebo. Don’t stand on furniture or take any risks
- Check that your lights are suitable for the outdoors and weather-resistant
- Make sure you have the correct voltage lights for your power source
- Take the opportunity to check over your gazebo or pergola, tightening any bolts and screws to ensure longevity and safety
Many of our customers have successfully added their own lighting to a Backyard Discovery pergola or gazebo, using our exclusive PowerPort™. The power port includes three surge-protected outlets, which are ideal for free-standing or temporary party lights; and three USB ports for devices, such as USB-powered string lights, charging your cellphone, or small speakers.
We have a great range of gazebos and pergolas that are equipped with the PowerPort™, including the Cordova, the Mandalay, the Fairhaven, and the Stratford, and many more!
If you’d like to speak to one of our friendly experts about the right pergola or gazebo for you, and the right lighting products for your needs, get in touch with us today.
For over 30 years, Backyard Discovery has been producing the highest quality wooden swing sets, playhouses and backyard leisure products for the home. Our team of innovators and specialists are passionate about bringing our love of quality family moments to your backyard. We are everyday parents just like you, while also expert craftsmen with a long legacy of building great products for millions of customers. We strive to take kids outside (just like we were) where they can flex both their muscles and their minds.