Sr. Product Manager
Company: Backyard Discovery
Location: Pittsburg, Ks.
The Product Manager is responsible for the day-to-day execution of product innovation and maintenance of the specified product lines, taking the assigned product lines from concept through the entire product lifecycle. Lead key initiatives to meet business objectives and strategies, perform market analysis to identify business opportunities and risks. The Product Manager will interact directly with sourcing, engineering, sales, and finance in an effort to continue category growth and leading–edge innovation. The ideal candidate will have proven experience with creating, generating, developing, and curating new ideas with demonstrated experience in acquiring actionable consumer insights. This position is based in Pittsburg, Ks. However, will consider candidates in the Midwest region (Kansas City, Wichita, Springfield and Joplin Mo).
- Market analysis
- Identify and understand consumer trends
- Create a clear understanding of consumer's Path-To-Purchase journey
- Identify needed consumer insights and works with insights team to acquire them
- Understand competitive landscape and their strengths and weaknesses
- Able to identify market "gaps" for NPD opportunities
- New Product Development
- Create Business Plan and Product Roadmap for NPD
- Create NPD product project requirements (product initiation document)
- Clear understanding of product performance requirements (not safety)
- Create product positioning
- Direct Industrial Design of new products
- Create and Prioritize Feature / Benefits
- Project ownership through full stage-gate process
- Management of PLM (product lifecycle management)
- Guide needed packaging and merchandising creation
- Understand and Support Ecommerce needs
- Understand and Support Sales and Promotions
- Understand and Support role of social media
- Sales strategy
- Understand retail channels and their roles
- Understand specific customer needs and timelines and plan accordingly
- Create product and marketing piece in support of customer meetings
- Full working knowledge of market pricing, customer and company margin expectations
- Ability to establish costs and pricing that works for consumers, customers and the company
- All other duties as assigned by management.
Skills & Knowledge
- Strategic Thinking - Able to evaluate the market then create strategy and needed supporting initiatives
- Analytical - Able to process multiple points of data and information and translate into needed actions
- Problem Solving – Identifying problems and root causes then offering up possible solutions
- Organizational - Able to prioritize projects, meet deadlines, and lead execution
- Interpersonal - Able to effectively connect cross-functionally throughout the organization with ability to value each team member and obtain their best work
- Communication - Written and oral ability to engage and transfer information while providing effective leadership
- Project Management - Demonstrated ability to set priorities, meet timetables, manage budgets and complete projects meeting/exceeding results.
- Business Acumen – A full understanding of income statements, especially what drives costs
- Ability to work flexible hours as needed.
- Travel as needed to attend meetings, trade shows, and functions.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 5+ years’ experience- durable-Goods new product development experience and experience working with sourced vendors
- Ideal candidate will have proven experience in acquiring consumer insights then creating, generating, developing, and curating new ideas
- Cross-functional experience across multiple disciplines (i.e. Marketing, Design, Finance, Supply Chain, QA, etc).
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook.